The beginning of a new year is often marked with optimism. You know, a hope for a better tomorrow. But since that garbage never gets us anywhere, let’s look at 2016 through clearer, more pessimistic eyes.
But first, we’re going to return to 2014 to take a glimpse of our future past.
According to 2014’s Fortune Magazine in 2015, “Sears will return to the catalogue,” “Mom jeans get hot” and “The price of lattes will go up.”
OK, so Fortune apparently lost its edge. Let’s see what that year’s Wired said about 2015:
“Entrepreneurs will grow by five percent.”
2) Even more boring.
“By 2020, the world will generate 50 times the data of just three years ago.” Nice, but since most of that increased data will be either porn or cute kitten videos, I’m not sold on its historic importance.
So, let’s hit you, dear readers, where it hurts. Here’s what’s really going to happen to us in 2016:
|No. Fuck you.|
· Adam Sandler makes more movies.
· America stops believing in hockey.
· Space aliens finally make first contact. They’ve learned to speak through reruns of “The Dukes of Hazzard” and nobody takes them seriously.
· NASA announces 2005 BS1, an almost three-acre asteroid, will strike the earth in 2020 causing cataclysmic damage to the planet. Scientists predict the only things to survive will be cockroaches and Starbucks coffee shop baristas who will spell the cockroaches names wrong.
|I really should have gone to the store first.|
· All NFL referees are reinstated.
· Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner has surgery to turn him/herself back into a man. Jenner now goes by the @ symbol.
· Sylvester Stallone is hassled by a local sheriff and disappears into the wilderness.
· Thinking it’s funny, the military names its new computerized global alert system Skynet. Our secret robot leaders are pleased.
· Scientists create a car that can run on methane from cattle. Environmentalists are even more worried about gas emissions.
· America is declared a “safe zone” where no one can say anything that will offend anyone else, so legally the only people who can speak are drunken German tourists.
|Because naming your kid Ricin is just stupid.|
· To pay off Greece’s debt, the EU turns the country into a giant Chuck E. Cheese’s. The Parthenon is a surprisingly great venue for Skee-Ball.
· Researchers discover a new species of lizard mutated by the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
· Kanye West says something amazingly stupid an egocentric. Yes, again.
· The new species of lizard attacks Tokyo.
· A solar flare disrupts satellite communication. College students drool and bump into things, which means they can’t study, or get to Starbucks, or spell cockroaches names correctly.
· Seeing their opportunity, talking apes take over the planet.